Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Kigali, Cairo, Lagos, Nairobi and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Senior Ruby Software Engineer Position:
As a Senior Ruby Software Engineer, you will primarily work as a lead engineer for one of Andela’s clients. Andela Senior Engineers are skilled at writing complex applications, have a deep understanding of application lifecycles, databases and services. They are passionate about guidance and mentorship to more junior engineers.
What You Will Do
- Interfacing with your client to understand their business, goals and visions for products being supported by an Andela Team;
- Performing high quality work that not only meets the need of the client, but surpasses it.
- If you are managing a team:
- Ensuring that our engineers are able to understand the business context and value of their tasks, as well as how it impacts users;
- Prioritizing the work that your team is responsible for to ensure that you’re always working on the highest value work that helps your clients meet their objectives;
- Working with our engineers to decompose high level stories into smaller, specific tasks and provide high level design support to help them understand how to solve specific coding challenges;
- Providing technical guidance and oversight to ensure that the work delivered is in accordance with the technical standards of your client;
- Encouraging a collaborative team environment;
- Regularly reporting the status of your team both to your client as well as senior members of Andela’s Partner Experience Department.
Qualifications & Characteristics
As the ideal candidate for this role you:
- Are passionate around the technology ecosystem;
- May have a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited university;
- Have at least 4 years of experience working in software development;
- Are highly proficient in Ruby;
- Have experience leading technical teams using Agile methodologies;
- Have experience working remotely as an effective member of a team;
- Have a vibrant personality and exceptional communication skills (English, verbal and written)
- Have strong leadership skills with a desire to mentor other developers;
- Have high cultural intelligence with the ability to relate and work effectively across cultures;
- Be strongly motivated by our social mission of training 100,000 young Africans in the next 10 years.
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
What we can offer you
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!