With our expanded portfolio of sustainable agriculture projects in Ghana, we are looking for a Consultant – Impact Technical Assistance who will support small and medium enterprises (SMEs) with Impact Technical Assistance through the Sustainable Land Use Finance and Accelerating Impacts of CGIAR Climate Research for Africa (AICCRA) projects. The two projects focus on application of research and technologies to secure sustainable agricultural growth that is climate resilient and protects environmental services. The consultant will link build the environmental and social monitoring capacity of selected investees to be able to attract high-impact capital and thereby de-risking investments through mechanisms such as results-based payments. The Consultant will play a catalytic role in supporting businesses to link their business models to environmental and social benefits through Impact Monitoring systems.
The ideal candidate has at least 3 years of prior work experience in Impact Measurement, with significant experience working with SMEs on environmental sustainability topics. They will be open-minded critical thinkers with good coaching and capacity building skills, passionate and motivated by the environmental and social impact of their work.
• Conceptualize and structure capacity building on environmental and social Impact Measurement for SMEs in various agricultural commodities in Ghana.
• Support a select few SMEs to develop and implement well targeted but lean Impact Measurement systems to mitigate risks and identify opportunities to improve their natural resource management. This may include supporting the design of lower risk financing models such as results-based payments.
• Ensure alignment with relevant sustainable finance and impact management protocols/requirements for targeted impact funds, as well as regulatory requirements and the natural resource management aims of the project.
• Lead field work including focus group discussions, key informant interviews and household surveys. Use results to design Impact Measurement systems that link value chain dynamics to local drivers of environmental conservation or degradation. Document results of field work as knowledge products on sustainable land use finance approach.
• Develop catalogue of companies and existing PPP business models for scaling out climate-smart agriculture, climate information and agro-advisory service delivery in Ghana. This will be conducted through desk research, interviews with key value chain actors and companies, focus group decisions and/or facilitating workshop(s).
• Build stakeholder awareness and prioritization of promising business models for scaling climate smart agriculture, especially those that increase resilience of women and youth. This will be achieved by working with key partners to produce/disseminate information materials and outreach through strategic events.
• Support improved integration of agro-advisory support systems into investments, enabling climate-informed decision making by smallholder farmers of roots & tubers, maize, vegetables, and cowpea.
• Contribute to the formulation and definition of project’s Impact Monitoring Metrics through collaboration with relevant project teams and partner impact investors.
• Stay up-to-date with existing research and impact investor initiatives related to impact and sustainability topics.
• Minimum 3 years of similar work experience in an Impact Measurement role or similar role related to social and environmental sustainability issues affecting rural communities and our planet
• Experience identifying and assessing profitability and environmental sustainability of business models in the private sector, with a preference for experience with SMEs
• Experience in designing and managing impact frameworks for impact-driven projects or organizations, ideally for impact asset managers or investors
• University degree in economics, environmental science, development finance or a related field
• A demonstrated passion for social enterprise, development finance and/or impact investing
• Excellent overview of recent trends regarding impact management concepts
• Ability to communicate the strategic relevance and provide technical guidance on impact management
• Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
• Open and engaging communication style, strong writing, and presentation skills
• Excellent English language speaking and writing skills; knowledge of a second language such as French or other local languages is preferred
• Experience in GIS/remote sensing will be an added advantage
Terms of employment:
This is an internationally recruited Consultancy position based in Accra or Kumasi, Ghana, for a period of 1 year. The consultancy position may be extended or converted into an employment position depending on opportunities. The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer, and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.
Applications MUST include reference number Ref: CON-GH-LC-2021-080- Consultant– Impact Technical Assistance as the position applied for. Applications should be saved as one document using the candidate’s last name, first name for ease of sorting.
1) A cover letter illustrating your motivation to apply and suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications and work responsibilities, and;
2) A detailed curriculum vitae, including the names and email addresses of three professional referees who have worked with you and are knowledgeable about your skills and professional abilities.