Overview of Job Description
The Compliance Specialist assists in managing the Corporate Compliance program, independently and objectively reviewing, evaluating, and investigating compliance issues/concerns arising within MODEC Operations and in accordance with its contractual obligations. Working under the supervision and direction of the Compliance Lead, the position ensures that MODEC is in compliance with all applicable anti-corruption compliance laws, rules and regulations governing MODEC’s operations and that MODEC policies and procedures are being followed and that behaviour in the organization meets the MODEC Group Code of Business Conduct and Ethics (the “Code of Conduct”).
- Maintains, and revises local MODEC policies and procedures for the general operation of the MODEC Compliance Program and its related activities to prevent illegal, unethical, or improper conduct.
- Helps to review and update such policies and procedures to ensure continuing currency and relevance in providing guidance to management and employees.
- Collaborates with other departments (e.g., HSSEQ, Human Resources, Finance, etc.) to direct compliance issues to appropriate existing channels for investigation and resolution.
- Responds to alleged violations of compliance law, rules, and regulations, violations of MODEC Group Anti-Corruption Compliance Policies (“ACC Policies”) and the Code of Conduct as well as to cases involving MODEC reported through the MODEC Ethics Hotline (the “Hotline”) by evaluating and, as necessary, recommending the initiation of investigative procedures. Develops and oversees a system for uniform handling of such violations.
- Acts as an independent reviewer and evaluator to ensure that compliance Issues/concerns within the organization are being appropriately evaluated, investigated and resolved.
- Identifies potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk; develops/implements corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues, and provides general guidance on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future.
- Ensures proper reporting of violations or potential violations to duly authorized enforcement agencies as appropriate and/or required.
- Institutes and maintains an effective compliance communication program for the organization, including promoting (a) use of the Hotline; (b) heightened awareness of the Code of Conduct and ACC Policies, and (c) understanding of new and existing compliance issues and related policies and procedures.
- Works with the Human Resources Department and others as appropriate to develop an effective compliance training program, including appropriate introductory training for new employees as well as ongoing training for all employees and managers.
- Monitors the performance of the MODEC Compliance Program and conducts activities on a continuing basis, taking appropriate steps to improve its effectiveness.
- Liaises with relevant departments to ensure that where compliance/legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken.
- Reviews internal policies and ensures that they are in compliance with all statutory or legal requirements.
- Law degree or equivalent
- Advanced Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional (CCEP)
- 3-5 years of experience
- Experience within a contracting environment within the international oil and gas market is desirable.
- Sound knowledge of applicable international and local anti-corruption compliance laws, rules and regulations